From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2009 14:28:20 -0700
--- On Thu, 10/22/09, Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I have noticed on many occasions over
> the years with (afaik) unrelated
> stocks, that the bees tend to reduce round holes to as
> little as a single
> bee-way with a screen of propolis when wasps are abundant,
> but open up again
> when the danger is over....

I've seen the reducing or closing of holes on occasion, but figured it in part, much dependent on colony strength and ability to do so.  Here is an interesting account of the closing of entrances to prevent predators from gaining entrance.

"...about the year 1776 an insect, before unknown, in the night time attacked the bee-hives all over Europe, and the men who owned them were in vain trying to plan something to keep out the invader that was the terror of the bee-hives of the continent, it was found that everywhere the bees had arranged for their own protection, and built before their honeycombs a
special wall of wax, with porthole through which the bees might go to
and fro, but not large enough to admit the winged combatant, called the
Sphinx Atropos." -1888

Best Wishes,
Joe