From:
Dave Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:34:38 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter L Borst" <[log in to unmask]>

 >A beekeeper that kept bees by an orchard knowing that spraying was going
to be done, would be a knucklehead.

No, it is the farmer that kills bees that is a knucklehead.

I kept bees in the orchard year-around when I was an orchard manager and we
did not kill them, because we followed the label directions scrupulously.

The kept bees also were a monitor of the effect we would have on wild bees
in the area. A grower needs every bit of "background" pollination he can get
as well, both to supplement the managed pollination, and as an emergency
backup, such as when a beekeeper truck is in a wreck, or he maybe has a
heart attack, etc.

Beekeepers who run away from pesticides are enablers, who let the pesticide
users continue sloppy usage. And, in the end, they will find the kept bees
crowded into smaller and smaller areas until there is nowhere else to go.

Dave Green, retired beekeeper