Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 2009 09:19:30 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
I kept thinking some of the frequent flyers on here would post,but speaking for the Florida area,i don't know of even one female owned and operated commercial outfit.
 There's a lot of good wives the work hard ,but I know of none which  a woman ,works full time,makes the decisions,and hires and fires as the number one person
 Racking my brain, none come to mind even on a national level ,I've never seen any highlighted in any of the bee magizines. I'm sure someone will correct me if my thoughts are incorrect.

It's just not something even males aspire to get into ,and since there's so few commercial beekeepers, Joe public doesn't even really know we hardly exsit or what we do.  So not many people wake up one morning and decide they want to be a beekeeper,spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on bugs that can die in what seems like and instant.
 For instance, my area of Florida is heavy in cattle and citrus, if those guys lost 30 to 50 percent of there stock or trees per year,they would not be doing it the next year.Around here 1 to 2 percent loss on cattle would be the max. 
  Any lenders,with any ag knowledge are very  very careful ,or will not lend on just bees without any thing solid behind it.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Access BEE-L directly at:
http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A0=BEE-L

ATOM RSS1 RSS2