From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 2009 21:04:19 -0500
> I'm in complete agreement--all you out-of-state competing beekeepers
> should
> protect your bees and stay home.

As I have said before California beeks only supply around 400,000 of the
million hives needed.

If we stay home where would almond growers get their hives?

I think you know the answer.

Protecting my bees is and always has been my main concern. My point is that
when you change from what has been working and change your methods such as
bringing hives into California in November and using feedlot methods many
things change.

A learning curve is needed.

Expanding or doubling your hive numbers can be a learning thing.

 Expansion
needs careful thought. I have seen the Bell & Adee outfits depopulate
thousands of hives when industry needs change ( direct involvement) . Also
expand just as quickly. I have seen the Bell outfit double its hive numbers
every month in Florida.

Numbers of hives mean little. Each hive has a cost to maintain.

The definition of stupidity is.
Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Making a living from almonds without other options is not a sound business
plan from my perspective.

Maybe works today but what will the situation be like in five years? Ten
years?

Kind of like putting all your eggs in one basket.

bob