From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 2009 11:15:40 -0400
Kurt wonders how to put the bees into an obs. hive.

Simply, it is important to put the bees into the hive outside, take the hive
inside, set it up, and connect it to the outside 'pipe'.

You will almost certainly have to open the hive 2-3 times during a season.
The hive must be constructed to allow easy access, easy movement from inside
to outside, a 'bee-proof' exit/entrance, etc.  Especially important is that
the distance be 'right' between the glass and the frames, have good
ventilation and yet not provide hiding places for wax moth and small hive
beetle.

I have got to the point where I refuse to maintain customers' obs. hives
that are homemade because they are just too much trouble.  I strongly
suggest that you first buy an obs. hive sold by Draper Bee in PA (the best
available, as far as I am concerned) and then copy that.
www.draperbee.com.

Good luck,

Lloyd