Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:21:59 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (59 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Great conversation about what we call ourselves, who we think we are, and the expectations our users, guests, and members have. 

I work at a "Discovery Center," the descriptor chosen in 1976 by the wonderful group who founded our place. Over the years we've acted as educational adjunct to the schools, health sciences museum, planetarium, aquarium, childrens' museum, science center, and even--heaven help us non-curatorial types--a museum based on collections related to Amarillo as the helium capital of the world (who knew?).

Nevertheless, we appear in the newspaper not in the "Museum" section, but under "Attractions" alongside Chuck-e-Cheese, Wonderland amusement park, and the local snake farm. We used to be a bit sensitive about being lumped in with mice, roller coasters, and rattlesnakes, but I've grown comfortable with the idea that families come to us seeking an enjoyable, leisure-time activity. Our job then is to meet and exceed their initial expectations before asking them to engage in the harder work of exploring, asking questions, and tolerating the ambiguity and discomfort inherent in new experiences.

"You know, you could learn something here," is a phrase we still hear as we try to define ourselves as a center for community focused on science and learning. "Only if you're not careful."

Joe
-----------------
Joe Hastings
Executive Director
Don Harrington Discovery Center
www.dhdc.org
[log in to unmask]
806-355-9547 x101
806-690-1602 mobile

New Exhibits are Coming to the Discovery Center!

The T-Rex Experience. Journey through a 67 million-year-old land to discover fearsome dinosaurs that react to your every move, sizing you up as friend, foe or their next meal.

Sea Monsters: A Prehistoric Adventure.  A new Space Theater Show by National Geographic.

Geometry Playground.  Engage your hands, brain, and body in playful investigations of geometry.

On Mar 31, 2011, at 10:37 AM, Jeff Rosenblatt wrote:

> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> *****************************************************************************
> 
> A discussion which has multiple correct answers.
> 
> I can best describe the difference between a museum and a science center by my experiences/expectations as a visitor (though I would never admit to expectations).  At a museum I feel my overall experience is one of passive nature.  Observe, read/view, discuss, reflect.  At a science center I feel my experience is one of active nature.  Participate, observe, read/view, discuss, reflect.
> 
> The confusing and wonderful part is so many institutions have varying names and hybrid experiences.
> 
> --Jeff Rosenblatt--
> ________________________________________

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2