ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Len Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2010 15:14:02 -0700

I sometimes wonder if in concentrating on facts and whether or not an audience gets the facts if we're missing another issue as you've noted.  It seems to matter less that someone has the facts, than it does that they act on the information.  A co-worker uses the example that many of us know that flossing our teeth everyday is helpful for our dental health, and even though we  believe that and truly want health teeth many people do not floss every day.  Why is that?  They don't floss not due to lack of information, or wrong information.  There is something else at work, some sort of relevant and purposeful connection that is missing in the eyes of the flosser.  In the end it matters more that a person flosses than it does that they understand the reasons for flossing.

On another point in the discussion about making sense of the world...there are some things that just won't make sense.  I think it's asking a lot for quantum dynamics to feel like it makes sense, or for calculus to feel like it makes sense.

 - Len

>>> Erich Rose <[log in to unmask]> 7/20/2010 2:27 PM >>>
Chuck Howarth started a thread about how the public just can't be bothered by facts, and was questioning how we should attack the problem of educating(not teaching)  the public when they have so little regard for what we call "the truth."  I believe we can all learn more by trying to approach these things from a more Gestalt level.  We need to become more aware of our surroundings and environment and in that way learn to "feel" that evolution makes sense.  I believe this applies to all sciences as well.  Facts alone are too easy.

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information. It has been scanned for viruses. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy any copies. Any dissemination, use, review, disclosure, or distribution of this information by a person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal.