HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2011 15:21:02 -0500
From:
"Doms, Keith" <[log in to unmask]>
Good Afternoon,

            After having to try to find and document several
springhouses in the mid-Atlantic region, I have become frustrated with
how little has been published about them.   (For those who are
interested, there is a very informative 2009 master's thesis by
Stephanie Lee Shaw (U of DE) "Springhouses of the Red Clay Valley: A
Transformation from Essential to Ornamental".)  Therefore, I have
started to document surviving examples of springhouses in my area.  I
would like to know if any of the list members have hard documentation on
the springhouse structures.  I plan to make a public data base with
photos for general reference.  I know the purpose and history of
springhouses.  I am not collecting personal reminiscences at this time.
Does any one out there have a documented springhouse?

State, County:

Material:

Dimensions:

Number and location of windows: