HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 2009 19:46:55 -0500
From:
John Eastman <[log in to unmask]>
Linda,
You might try the Lock Museum of America.  They have been helpful to me in
the past. It looks like you've gotten some good responses, but just in
case...

Lock Museum of America
230 Main Street, Route 6
Terryville, Connecticut 06786-0104
Fax & Telephone: (860) 589-6359
http://www.lockmuseum.com
email: [log in to unmask]

-Jack Eastman

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 9 Mar 2009 09:33:07 -0500
From:    Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Carpenter & Company Locks

Does anyone know of a good book on Carpenter door Locks that would help date
these things.  Online sources seem to disagree on whether they were imported
to U.S. prior to a supposed patent date of 1830.  ( I am looking for
something other than the brief section in Ivor Noel Hume's Artifact Guide).

I've seen information on how to use marks on the "keeper," the part that is
mounted on the door frame, but am curious whether we can use the style of
the round brass plate on the main part of the lock to establish a date.

Any help would be much appreciated.  (and if someone out there is an expert
on these locks, and can help me, I could send them a digital picture of the
artifacts in question)

Thank you for your time.

Linda Derry
Site Director