From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 2010 17:54:57 -0500
Three points of view on the impact of "invasive honey bees". No, Yes,
Hard to Say?

2001
Do competing honey bees matter? Dynamics and abundance of native bees
before and after honey bee invasion
D. W. Roubik and H. Wolda

> No measurable population-level impact of competition between this invading honey bee and native bees, despite many demonstrations of resource competition at flower patch and colony levels, changed annual abundances of all 15 native bee species. Native bee abundance did not decrease, nor did native bees show substantial reciprocal yearly change with honey bee abundance.

2004
COMPETITIVE INTERACTIONS BETWEEN THE INVASIVE EUROPEAN HONEY BEE AND
NATIVE BUMBLE BEES
DIANE THOMSON

> Biological invasions represent both an increasingly important applied problem and a tool for gaining insight into the structure of ecological communities. Although competitive interactions between invasive and native species are considered among the most important mechanisms driving invasion dynamics, such interactions are in general poorly understood. ... These results provide evidence that Apis competitively suppresses a native social bee known to be an important pollinator, with the potential for cascading effects on native plant communities.

2006
Detecting the effects of introduced species: a case study of
competition between Apis and Bombus
Diane M. Thomson

--
Peter Loring Borst