From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 2010 22:19:30 -0800
> >Does anyone know if the current protein subs (amino acids) are in a less
> usable form for the bees than real pollen and to what extent?

The manufacturers try to match the amino acid proportions close to those
found to be optimal by deGroot.

> We know eggs are high in cholesterol but it doesn't come in the form that
> the bees can utilizes.

Don't know why you say that.  Bees can use cholesterol for a few
generations, but eggs also contain 24 methylene cholesterol, which is the
form that bees do use.  I haven't been able to find any source that states
the actual amount of 24 mCh, though--if anyone finds one, please let me
know!

> >Would this apply to proteins from soya flour and brewers yeast and if so
> how could the amino acids balance be determined?

Can easily be determined by simple arithmetic and the published analyses.
I'm currently working up graphs for all common protein sources for bee
feeds, which I will publish.

> >Could the bees be using the amino acids from these sources in an
> unbalanced ratio?

They can only use them to the extent of the limiting amino acid.

Randy Oliver