From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 2010 21:30:08 -0600
Dave said:
> is what is usually done - using a Styrofoam box and some kind of
> cushioning for protection for temperature shifts and physical shock

We have modified a Styrofoam
egg incubator like is sold in farm stores with success.

Short trips with cells ready to hatch are fairly easy.

I like to install at night and candle all cells if possible. The day before
hatching if you shine a strong light through the cell you should detect
movement. If not I toss the cell.

If you candle then at least you get an idea of the number of viable cells
and prevents placing a bad cell in a nuc.

If given a choice I prefer mated queens for my nucs.

I have never received cells by shipping. I have heard a few stories with
poor results. In fact Grant's story is the first I have heard of a large
amount with success

Grant please post later if success was had this year.

The main reason commercial beeks buy cells is cost or not being able to get
mated
queens.

Cells are easier to produce than a mated queen. At times if you live close
to a queen producer you might get cells given to you (or very cheap) as most
produce far more cells than they need. I have seen a 100 cells tossed in the
trash if not needed or tossed outside if hatching in an incubator without
cell protectors.

The picky queen producer might toss all the small cells.

I have seen some nice queens come out of small cells. Certainly I would pick
the best cells but if not picky and shopping price why not try a few small
cells.

Bargains can be had at times.

That said. I order mated queens!
Good queens to me do not cost me money but pay dividends!
Mine are ordered (are yours?)

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Missouri

I am home now. So lets stop trashing those poor hard working commercial
migratory beekeepers and put the focus back on those contaminating the poor
bees pollen & nectar.