From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 2009 08:40:23 -0500
>In other words, if unsanitary
processing practices were causing health problems wouldn't we be hearing
about it more?

Unless death is involved little concern by the FDA. I personally think all
people selling honey to other than close friends need to be in a food
approved environment and practice common sanitary methods.
I think most health departments are under manned and afraid to enforce
existing rules with fast food places.
Once a year inspection gives plenty of leeway to producers.

 > I'm sure it's not the
fee that concerns many of us as much as the hassle and expense of meeting
the stringent requirements of restaurant kitchen standards.

Most rules are not unreasonable. Floors with a sealer so the concrete will
not dust. Washable walls. Free of insects (other than bees!) and rodents.
Sanitizing of equipment. no pet access.

 So unless there
is a real problem, we would just as soon avoid meeting very strict rules in
order to sell a few jars at the Farmer's market.

What do you consider a few jars? few means three jars to most of us.  At the
large farmers markets all honey processors ( as well as baked goods ) need
to process in food approved kitchens, get health department inspections and
carry product liability.  The larger farmers markets comply with the rules
of their states and counties.

Small farmers markets do not.

Most small beekeepers do an excellent job of processing their honey for sale
in their home kitchens. Some do not. The rules are made to get those which
do not to clean up their act.

People are screaming for tighter standards for food processing in the U.S..
What you are seeing is the result. Also those in power believe that the
producers need to pay for the new inspections and enforcement.

Hence the grand fee!

bob