Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 2009 16:10:04 -0700
7bit
From:
T'N'T Apiaries <[log in to unmask]>
>> My memory from many years ago when I fed a soy-based product was that I
>> could see it stored.
>
> We will see it stored in a small numbers of cells around the brood nest.

I was obviously not firing on all cylinders last night.  I should clarify
that I have never seen it, when the supplement is placed as a patty within
the hive.  We started rob feeding dry soya flour/brewers yeast mix in the
spring years ago in certain yards to keep the bees away from the neighbours.
The biggest problems at the time were pig feeds containing soyaflour. Seeing
the benefit to brood rearing in those yards, we started to doing it across
the board.  Even though we now feed patties in the spring, we continue to
rob feed a supplement.  When we went back to feeding only certain yards,
those yards were always just a bit better; with slightly more & bigger
patches of brood.  We played around with it and feel quite confidently now
that the exterior feeding stimulates the hive more than feeding just a patty
will.  The problems of course are fly time at that time of year and as I
pointed out yesterday, their limited ability to care any amount of the
supplement home, so the patty is necessary also.

David Tharle
Ardmore, AB
Canada