From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 2009 19:01:03 -0400
On 5-May-09, at 8:54 AM, Claude Hachey wrote:

>  Heavy winter losses here this year in spite of doing all the right
> things in a timely manner

Hi Claude and all

I'm not wanting to criticize Claude myself or anyone else.  This year
my survival rate is 100%, last year close to 0%. This year the bees
look as if they will swarm soon but it is still too cold, some days
20C most nights 0C or lower  many days cool and windy with lots of
rain.  Last year the survivors did only that.

Could everyone who did all the right things list them for the rest of
us.  If they resulted in failure, what else can be done? Maybe
someone on the list did that one thing.

I have operated with open bottom screens all year for years and have
not had serious losses until 3 years ago.  Last fall I insulated the
bottom of each hive with 2" styrofoam fitted into my screened bottoms.

I haven't insulated the top of my hives for a long time but did last
fall with 2" styrofoam.

I haven't treated for nosema since the 70's.  last fall I fed fumigillin