From:
Jane Erb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:12:26 -0700
Henk wrote:

>1) Is Howard Shelley not the one of the Liszt- recording? Or: ...
>
>[You are thinking of Leslie Howard, the pianist who is recording the the
>complete Liszt for Hyperion.  I get the two confused all the time too.
>-Dave]

Dave's right.  Howard Shelley is best known for his performances of the
Rachmaninoff 3rd PC (it's almost a signature piece for him in the UK) and
for his performances, sometimes conducting from the keyboard, of Mozart.
He has been (don't know whether he still is) the associate conductor of the
London Mozart Players.  An elegant man and an elegant pianist, he lacks
high visibility in this country save for appearances on both coasts, but
should be much better known.

Jane Erb