From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 21:45:29 -0500
Young Kwak wrote:

>Donald Satz wrote:
>
>>This is just my personal accounting of the greatest composers of piano
>>concertos in order of preference:
>>
>>1.  Mozart - Not only did he write so many, but they are all gems.  Nos.
>>17 through 24 are masterpieces.  The best by a wide margin.
>
>Couldn't agree more.  However, my favorite is the 25th, perhaps the most
>underrated concerto in history.

It's my favorite too.  It was my first LP, a Polydor Vox (PLP 6520), w/
Gaby Casadessus and Eugene Bigot conducting the Lamoureux Orchestra.  It
was first performed publicly on December 4, 1786 for the Advent concert
season, with the composer as soloist and conductor, and then not again
until 1934 by Schnabel w/ Szell conducting the Vienna Philharmonic.

>Great versions by Kovacevich, Jando, and Fleischer.

I heard portions of a Serkin performance on the radio once and was struck
by the cadenza, which recalled themes from earlier Mozart concertos,
including the 24th.  I've never heard that performance again.

Walter Meyer