From:
Jane Erb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 19:42:11 -0700
Lloyd Sitkoff asks:

>I seem to remember a while back, the(rumored to be self exiled) venerable
>Paul Moor? stating that Maestro Thomas was born into a family with the name
>Thomashevsky(sp?).  I can not recall if PM stated how Mr. T.  came to be
>known as Mr. TT but i am curious if we should stick to TT if we indeed do
>know that T is correct.

In his claims to authority about Gershwin, Mr Thomas himself has
proclaimed that the family name was Thomashevsky, shortened to Thomas, and
that during his youth they lived near the Gershwins (their name shortened
from Gershovitz).  I, too, have wondered when his middle name suddenly
became part of his last name.  Several people I know get around this
dilemma by calling him MT Squared.  However, if one has to address him,
I suppose he is entitled to be called as he wishes.

Jane Erb