HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lynne Teather <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 1994 14:32:51 -0500

> You have defined an excellent application for a Geographic Information
> System (GIS), and there is a multitude of software packages out there,
> from relatively inexpensive to budget-busting.
>
> For those interested in total immersion in GIS discussions, I suggest
> that you subscribe to COMP.INFOSYSTEMS.GIS which is the Internet
> Newsgroup for the GIS community. With something over 35,000 subscribers,
> this Newsgroup is one of the largest, and most heavily read on the Net.
> Every major expert/practitioner is involved, and they are a helpful
> bunch, always willing to help novice and pro alike.

I am a new subscriber to your list but I am fascinated by the
potential of GIS. Could anyone tell me if their is a software GIS
package for Canada that is connected to the postal code or any other
system such as town name that data can be related to to gain a
geographic representation.

I should probably also communicate with our geography department which will
facilitate some interdepartmental communication within the university
for a change.

Thank you.

Dr. Lynne Teather,
Graduate Coordinator,