From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 2009 20:35:25 -0700

> >Bees are often reluctant to go up into newly placed supers. ...After the
> bees get used to the idea there is prime real estate above and have
> confidence that it will not flood or get too cold, they will go into
> *anything* placed there

Allen, after my first honey crop, I shake my colonies down to a single box,
and then move them to alfalfa, and place a deep of new frames with
foundation on top of each.  I have to do this each year to replace the
frames sold in my nucs.

The bees generally just sit there for several days before they start to pay
any attention whatsoever to the boxes of foundation (no Q exluder).  But as
soon as they start to work the first center frames, they will then draw out
the comb and fill the box with honey in a few days.

The delay that you mention has always been curious to me, given how quickly
they can fill a box once they set their minds to it.

Randy Oliver