From:
Brian Ames <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 2009 13:58:51 -0400
On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 03:40:00 +0200, Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 I also love a healthier world, I also dream of less
>agrochemical applied, but at the same time I know I am a minority and then
>do not rant against all others. On the contrary, I try to observ my
>surroundings to be prepare to change my managment accordindly.  Always
>learning, always asking, always studying.

I appreciate your view and respect it. I'm not sure about your legal system in your
country but here we have a federal label law and in my case a state agency apperently
willingly overlooking this ongoing spraying of beans in bloom.

here is an excerpt from a 2003 University of Mn newsletter about soybeans and aphids
for growers.

http://swroc.cfans.umn.edu/SWMNPEST/03News/issue8/073103.PDF

"What about the potential for bee kills?
It may come as a surprise to many growers that honeybees actually forage
soybean and
that soybean can be an important resource for honeybees. The importance
of soybeans
varies with soybean variety, the presence and abundance of competing
flowering plants,
and moisture. Because insecticides can be lethal to bees and, in some
cases, residues
carried back to the hive, insecticides labeled for soybean aphid contain
warning language
similar to the following: Do not apply this product, or allow it to
drift, to blooming crops
and/or blooming weeds if bees are foraging (visiting) the treatment
area. The key
challenge is that clause “if bees are foraging”. To minimize the chance
for bee kills,
follow a few simple precautions:
·  Choose a product less likely to be transported back to the hive.
Organophosphates
(Lorsban 4E, dimethoate, methyl parathion) and carbamates (Furadan 4F)
generally
pose a greater risk than pyrethroid insecticides (Warrior, Pounce,
Mustang Max,
Baythroid, or Asana). If in doubt, use products with lower REI.
·  Bees forage sun up to sundown with a peak in the late afternoon.
Applications near
sundown (best option because sprays will dry) and early morning (next
best option)
will have less impact on foraging bees." end of quote from newsletter.

My next stop is a call to the State Attorney Generals office on Monday to see if they
would be interested in taking my complaint that the state ag dept is part of an ongoing
circumnavigation of federal label laws along with farmers and farm supply or coops.

I must take my hits to my honey crop for different reasons out my control but I also
follow the law when I operate my business. I am only asking a state funded agency to
follow the law they are required to do. Farmers who get subsidies can also take their hit
and follow the law. Change does not come about by putting up with crap.

I have no real loss I am trying to sue for - I am doing this for other reasons like someone
has to raise the flag and say enough is enough. Big ag and the growers and chem
organizations are well funded and organized. We must push back and seek some balance.