Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 2009 18:57:32 -0600
> "It has been proven now that that (sic) proper hygienic selection does
> eliminate...

> I guess this is a typo.

Yup.  A typo.

> As far as I understand the process, one have to select before for those
> other properties one wants in its bees (productivity, calmness, wintering,
> etc) and them from that stock do the hygienic test to end up with
> productive, clam, good wintering, etc AND hygienic bees.

Yup. That is how I understand it.  Apparently as the prevalence of hygienic
behaviour increases in the bee populations, more and more hives pass the
test.

In my opinion, it is less important to select drastically for very high
levels of hygienic behaviour than to be certain to set a minimum standard
and eliminate any hives that are seriously non-hygienic.

Susceptible hives are a menace, since they break down and become reservoirs
of disease or pests.