From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 2009 13:33:12 -0400
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 15:05:43 -0400, Dave Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
>As I've said before I think it is 99% likely that ccd is a virus

Very likely chronic varroa infestation has compromised the innate honey bee immune
system, in the bees throughout US and Europe. This paved the way for rampant virus
buildup.

You have a situation not unlike that with humans with AIDS. The immune system is
compromised by the HIV virus in that case, but they wind up with a wide variety of
opportunistic infections, including microsporidia (also treated in humans with fumagillin)

It is quite likely that disappearing symptoms are caused by neurological disorders,
causing bees to fly off and get lost. In other words, virus builds up in the bees brains and
causes symptoms including disorientation and premature aging.

* Recent work connects avian flu virus with Parkinson-like symptoms:

> Richard Smeyne at St. Jude's Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee, and colleagues infected
mice with avian flu and tracked how the infection progressed to the nervous system. "We
thought [the virus] would get in [to the CNS] via the blood stream," through the blood
brain barrier, said Smeyne. Instead, the virus entered "in a backdoor way," infecting the
axon terminals of peripheral neurons first, specifically those of the gut and lung. The
virus then traveled from the axon to the neuron cell body, where the researchers think it
may be able to infect other neurons.

> Strikingly, said Smeyne, "this virus was mimicking the pattern of progression of
Parkinson's disease." According to the generally accepted system of staging the disease's
progression, Parkinson's starts in peripheral neurons and slowly makes its way into the
CNS, much like the progression of viral infection. "It is interesting to me," said Tansey,
that the virus "clearly infects the areas that are the most sensitive to chronic
inflammation," such as the midbrain, where much of the neuronal death seen in
Parkinson's disease occurs.

http://www.the-scientist.com/blog/display/55883/