Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 2009 18:27:09 -0600
7bit
> I have been using 15% pollen patties simply because
>> that is what Global had on hand.

> Chinese pollen?

In Canada, it could be, or Spanish, although they use all the Canadian
pollen they can get.  In theUS, though, all Global's pollen is US-produced
and they work with the FDA on that to ensure total legality and food safety.
They only use ingredients that are approved and known to the customer and
the authorities.

> I would never have guessed would happen but Dave H. said was what he was
> seeing. I tried and once the hives pollen needs are being met with the
> patty you see less and less bees coming in with pollen loads. I admit I
> was a bit amazed also but does two important things in my opinion.

I had a good chat with Dave the other day at Andy's during EAS.  He is a
huge convert to the feeding persuasion.  I'm not sure I think all the
various things he adds are necessary (eggs, minerals, etc.) but what the
heck. If it works for him, then that is a good thing.  We really need some
good research, since so much of this is guesswork.  I know that yeast and
soy with pollen work.  As for all the other stuff, I wonder if some of it
might be slightly harmful.

>At times I have had pallets of perfectly good frames plugged with pollen I
>have pulled from hives in fall and in spring. Bees will freeze to death in
>winter clustered over frames of pollen. Many times the bees place those
>frames in the center of the brood nest.

We used to have that here in Alberta.  Northern beekeepers would trade full
pollen frames straight across for empty frames from southern (prairie)
beekeepers.

> >  Do you see any supplement in the frames?

> sure! And will get hard as a rock over time.

I'll have to look closer.  Have not seen that here.

>> By the time wrapping time comes at the end of October, all hives are
>> quite uniform in weight.

> uniform is the key. Hardly ever worked for in hobby beekeepers hives but
> what we are always striving for in commercial hives!

I always grind my sideliner friends about that.

There is always an excuse why they cannot get the weights up in time, but
winter losses keep them behind the curve.

It is like surfing.  The ride is great on the front of the wave if you time
things right and can ride it, but if you are even a little slow, miss the
crest and try to catch it...  not so much.