Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 2009 12:58:56 EDT

[log in to unmask] writes:

<<The fact that there were bees in Britain that allowed wax  moth to exist
on
the combs is amazing to me--hasn't wax moth been present  in Britain for a
great long time?

Here in Calif, it is currently  quite hot, and freshly-extracted dark combs
are quickly infested with wax  moth.  As soon as we replace such boxes of
combs onto colonies, we can  see virtually all the moth larvae, cocoons, and
silk removed to the ground  in front of the hive by the next morning.

Randy  Oliver>>

    Lesser wax moth doesn't do a lot of harm, over here  at least, and the
bees can live with it comfortably. They're a nuisance if  you're producing
comb honey, but that's about all. Greater wax moth has  historically been
confined to areas along the south coast, so many strains will  never have come
into contact with it.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley
Birmingham  UK