HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Charles H. Fithian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2010 07:47:41 +0000
Rick,
Copper alloy nails in a possible maritime/naval context would have several applications. These would include such things as usage around gunpowder, or in this case, more likely for securing copper sheathing to the exterior planking on a ship's hull. The length you stated is consistent with that usage. The majority of this type of fastener that I have seen have been British in origin. They are pretty standardized, and are cast with a stamped head. On the underside of the head is an impressed broad arrow denoting government ownership. The "US" stamp on your example is most interesting. Do you have a photo?

Chuck Fithian