HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cami McCraw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2008 16:16:50 -0500
Hi Matthew,
  -Also building on what Ron May just posted, I really think it came around
1970. I know for sure I had never heard of it in elementary school, but it
was the 'in-thing' at some point in 6th grade, (1970-71).
  Now, maybe it was 'invented' before that, but just became popular at least
where I was in 1970. Back then with no internet and limited television, fads
took a little bit longer to spread. (I'm not an archaeologist BUT we are
radio/TV/editing folks.)
  By the time I entered high school ('73), we were also beginning to see
these same smiley faces in various colors instead of only yellow. (But of
course those were never as popular as the yellow!)
  I do think it was very much tied in with the Nixon era, and wasn't Nixon
always flashing the 'Peace' sign on television? So yes, the smiley face was
tied in to 'Peace & Love and general happiness'. I believe the 'flower
power' stuff may have started in the late-60s, so just before the smiley
faces. (But you are right- not much difference.)
  If anyone ever has a chance to see old TV reruns of 'The Wonder Years',
you'll get an accurate window into the fads of those times and even the
political ties, especially if you pay attention to the small details in the
show. (Folks my age won't need that, but for younger listmembers it may be
helpful.)
  -Cami
 http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/NewChronology/
 http://stretchproductions.com/RohlProducts.html