From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 2009 06:25:48 -0700
I know this topic has been beat down pretty good.  I thought I would add my two cents.  I make my own labels on the computer.  The relative cost is still pennies, and yes, I have my time involved.  But I'm looking for flexibility.

I also run about two dozen different sizes of bears, squeeze bottles and jars and each requires a different label, depending on the size and style.

My health food store customers seem to want excessive information so the label does end up looking somewhat cluttered.

My outside honey stand (exposed to rain) needs waterproof, laser labels.  Easier than trying to mess around with hair spray and the extra labor.

My farmer's market stand seems to prefer folksy, simple labels with multiple color schemes.  As an aside, I purchased some specialty jars, and the company offered to give me their nice, professional labels and print my name/address on their label.

Sounded good to me.  However, when trying to sell honey at the farmer's market, several people pick up the specialty jar, look at the label, then comment, "Where's your honey?  We don't want this grocery store honey.  I thought you had to raise what you sell here."

That comment may speak more to the average intelligence of the farmer's market customer, or the perception of the specialty jar, or the "professionalism" of the label.  I used Avery labels as well as Maestro, using basic clip art available on the Internet.

One time I looked into professional labels and the price was $36 for 1000, one color.  If I added another color, it was $36 more.  Another color and it was $36 more.  There was a one time set up fee.

It was just easier for me to get my labels from Avery.

Grant Gillard
Jackson, MO