From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2009 02:52:48 +1000
Randy wrote

> We've tried hot dipping immediately after applying the napthenate, but
> didn't like the way that the copper then leached into the hot wax in the
> tank and got over all surfaces (I don't want my bees, combs, honey, nor
> myself exposed to copper napthenate), so now we let it dry overnight
> before
> hot dipping.

To treat with copper naphthenate, it should dry at least 14 days before
doing anything with it i.e. painting or wax dipping. This way it allows the
copper naphthenate to "soak" in.  This is also to allow the carrier, usually
mineral turps, to evaporate.

Our bottom cleats are usually treated with CCA (copper, chrome, arsenic) as
there is no chance of the bees coming in contact with it if it is painted.
This is basically for termites (white ants) as copper naphthenate offers no
resistance to termites.  Boxes are not treated with CCA as there was work
back in the late 1970's by Kalins and Detroy (spelling?) that showed that
the arsenic could get into the honey.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA