From:
Gavin Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 2009 09:24:39 +0000
> All to no avail as it took a couple of week
Hi Murray, Peter and All

> All to no avail as it took a couple of weeks before the govt.
> got the information flow going.

But at least your public-spirited attitude started the flow of information out through the beekeeping associations.  Also, the photos we took that evening are brought out for every presentation anyone gives on the disease here and have really helped in the education of beekeepers in Scotland.

> In the current outbreak in Scotland it is the native black stock that seems most affected.

Didn't you also say that another beekeeper was seeing stock with Buckfast parentage particularly badly affected?

We may be seeing the effect of historical adaptation in different stocks.  EFB seems to have established a foothold in part of Tayside relatively recently (probably five or more years ago) and has been spreading out from there, infecting the bees of other beekeepers in the area.  Beekeeping books written in the 1970s talk of an area in S England (not so far from Peter) where EFB was a long established problem but that other parts of the country had only sporadic outbreaks.  It is quite possible that Peter's Amm and near-Amm has more resistance than Scottish Amm, and it is also possible that Tayside native and near-native stock is now developing resistance as the more susceptible colonies succumb and are lost.  Those keeping imported strains and their derivatives may have stock that carries resistance due to historical exposure in the home area of that stock.

best wishes

Gavin