Condense Mail Headers

From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 2009 22:22:24 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Kim Flottum" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 21:39:29 -0400

Two points I'll add to the mix...

In 20+ years of looking for and finding people to subscribe to our
magazine, we have had by far the most success with a person fitting the
following stereotype...

More than a passing interest in 'biology and/or gardening'
75% male, 25% female
Old enough to have
       More or less made their career and are no longer still climbing
like mad
       Enough money to be secure with the mortgage and college
educations
       Children old enough to help, and no longer be dependant on
driving, etc
       Time away from the job and volunteer work to do bees
       Money enough to buy the equipment

This isn't to say that others don't subscribe, but when this person
takes up beekeeping, they tend to be more successful, more determined to
make it work, have the time to do it, and the money to invest...they
have postponed this activity for years, and now they can, and will...

I know that people younger than 25 are distracted...hormones, time in
school, peer pressure and the like are strong competitors. Many start,
few finish...until they meet the requirements above...

Yes, there are individuals that prove me wrong...but I tend not to look
at individuals when I am recruiting subscribers...readers...I am looking
at groups of individuals...

In the same light...I can share reason why people quit beekeeping...or
at least quit subscribing to the magazine...

20% have gone to the big beeyard in the sky
50%, yes, 50% quit because their colonies died, and, by their
determination, of varroa mites
25%, yes, 25% quit because they are tired of buying 3 or 4 queens every
year for a colony...this by their determination

The remaining 5% or so...it varies every time I do this...from as much
as 15% to less than 5%...don't like the way we do the magazine...

To me, that 50% is telling...the people who are offering information
aren't reaching these folks, or, these folks aren't reading what is
offered....

Now, think how many people belong to associations....and how many don't.

Kim Flottum
Editor, Bee Culture Magazine
623 W. Liberty St.
Medina, OH  44256