ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carly DeBoice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 2009 15:50:35 -0600

SMART is a calgary, Alberta based company, where our science centre is.  We
have 2 SMARTboards that were donated to us.  We use them in our public
programming a little bit.  Every single school in Calgary has one in every
classroom, so the appeal is a little low for us.  The technology has really
improved, and ours are a little out of date.

Some of the software they have developed is useful - for example they have a
lot of anatomy stuff, etc. However, we tend to use them most as giant
monitors :)  We looked into getting some staff training, but it's $3000 for
a custom day session.

Some of the ones installed in classrooms had an arm that came out.  BEWARE
because these create a shadow, and were very frustrating for
teachers/educators.  Make sure not to get that model.

Carly

Carly DeBoice
Program Developer
New Science Centre 2011 Project
Tel: 403-268-8323
Fax: 403-237-0186

The Much More Munsch exhibit explores Robert Munschıs creative world.
Discover how his famous stories are imagined and developed as you build a
story, create onomatopoeias, perform for your family and friends, and more!
At TELUS World of Science ­ Calgary until September 10, 2009.

2009 has been declared International Year of Astronomy. Explore over 300
astronomical events planned for Calgary at www.astronomycalgary.com
<http://www.astronomycalgary.com> .

Creativity, imagination and innovation need room to grow. Visit
www.newsciencecentre2011.ca <http://www.newsciencecentre2011.ca/> for the
latest news, images and videos about the New Science Centre 2011 Project.
P Before printing, think about the environment.