From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2009 08:35:13 -0800

> > Our study supports previous findings that nepotism
> in queen rearing is probably absent or weakly
> expressed

The honey bee colony's genetic structure (half the total genetic structure
split between some 15-20 "father" colonies, is at odds with the "selfish
gene" concept.

Since genetically-diverse colonies are more successful and productive, have
better resistance to parasites, and better winter survival, any nepotism
would come at at price.

It is therefore to the indirect benefit of any subfamily of sisters to
police all eggs laid in the brood combs to ensure that no subfamily plays
unfairly by having workers lay eggs.  The other subfamilies remove them.

This process equalizes any family's chance at passing their genes on to the
next generation, roughly in proportion to the overall genetic composition of
the entire colony, rather than that of any specific subfamily.

The deeper one looks into honey bee reproductive behavior, the more clever
it appears to be!

Randy Oliver