From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 2009 22:23:07 -0500
Subject: [BEE-L] News from Australia

> http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/mutant-mite-may-threaten-bee-industry-20090609-c1wc.html

Yawn!

I will see what I can find out about the mutant Varroa jacobsoni ( not to be
confused with varroa destructor) . True varroa entering Australia would
cause Australian beekeepers to change the way they keep bees but doubt would
really be a big issue.

Unlike when varroa entered Europe and the Americas most Australian
beekeepers are vary familiar with methods used around the world to control
vaaroa.

For those new beekeepers on BEE-L

 ALL the worlds researchers thought varroa J. was the varroa mite killing
the worlds hives until Denis Anderson ( Australia) discovered (and named)
varroa destructor and found varroa J. posed no threat to honey bees.

The discovery embarrassed many of the worlds bee researchers.

I will see what Denis Anderson has to say about the so called mutant Varroa
J.

Regardless the same methods will control Varroa D.& mutant Varroa J.

Bob

Thinking the only good varroa mite is a dead varroa mite