ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ed Rodley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2011 09:27:45 -0500

I have to agree with Minda.  Especially in the science center field,
we tend to be very sloppy about using the word "exhibit" to mean a
stand alone unit as well as a collection of components - what the rest
of the field would call an "exhibition." Technology in exhibitions and
technology in exhibits are questions of vastly different scale.

Lots of people have touched on examples of exhibit-level technologies
that have been transformative of our practice. On the exhibition
scale, I'd second the inclusion of object theatres as an influential
technology. The work that Science North and others have done to create
compelling, dramatic theatrical experiences using only objects and
multimedia is incredible.  Home Place Minnesota at the MN History
Center made me cry the first time I experienced it, and years later I
still remember it more than the vast majority of exhibits and
exhibitions I've seen since.

The second technology that is in the process of influencing
exhibitions is the mobile phone, if for no other reason than it is
going to force museums to abandon their "no photography" policies
because its getting to be cost-prohibitive to enforce when more and
more people have phones and most of their phones have cameras.

Ed