ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Erich Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 2009 17:40:13 +0000

Lasers have been a bit of a hobby of mine over the years so I have some experience with this issue. If you want to use water vapor it has to be just that "VAPOR" not mist. Mist being made up of larger droplets will do two things you don't want: scatter the beam, either causing problems with the sensors or just weakening the beam before it gets to the sensor and secondly it will just get everything wet.

Now there are those little table top ultrasonic vapor machines but the vapor wants to hang low and therefore you will have to figure out how to get it distributed over the "strings" evenly. Any air currents are going to wisp it away and just as with the mist you still want to keep it to a minimum to lower the condensation issue.  Also those units require deionized water for best results so museum staff must be informed regarding maintenance.

I have used small smoke machines but that brings up a whole 'nother set of pros and CONS. FYI: Dry ice vapor also breaks the beams up quickly.

One thing that would make the beams more visible would be to go all green. Green lasers at low powers (<5mw) are so much easier to see than red. And green LED lasers are now relatively affordable. But you know this.

Good luck.

--
Erich Rose
Exhibit, Environmental and Industrial Design