ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Anders Liljeholm <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 1 Jul 2009 13:05:54 -0700

At OMSI, we have a variation on that exhibit where visitors punch holes
in paper, but the reader uses light to detect the holes.  Each possible
slot has an LED shining towards a light sensor, and each sensor
corresponds to a musical note.  (I believe an electronic keyboard is
used to make the music.)

          -Anders Liljeholm
Oregon Museum of Science and Industry
1945 SE Water Ave.
Portland, OR 97214

---------------------
At The Norwegian Museum of Science and Technology we just opened a new
exhi=
bition called Music Machines. One of the activities in the exhibition is
pu=
nching holes in strips and then playing them in large music box sets.
Howev=
er, the music boxes break down all too soon and we can't find any new
that =
is solid enough. The toothed wheels made of plastic seem to be the weak
poi=
nt.

Does anyone know where we can find some really solid music box sets?

Frode Weium
Curator
The Norwegian Museum of Science and Technology