From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 2009 23:26:08 +0100
http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/features/The-mysterious-demise-of-the.5830861.jp

Beekeepers locally have reported as much as 60 per cent of their hives
'dying out' in the past year.

Richard Davies, chairman of the Peterborough and District Beekeepers
Association, has lost 40 per cent of the hives at his Farcet home. And
Yaxley-based association secretary, George Newton, has seen a 60 per cent
decline.

Richard says: "People are losing between 30 per cent and 50 per cent of
their hives - some are losing the lot. There's always natural wastage - but
this is entirely different.

"If the trend continues there will not be sufficient honey bees to pollinate
our fruit, like apples, pears and strawberries, vegetables like carrots,
onions and cabbages, and crops like oil seed rape.

"And, as it's a worldwide problem, there won't be the crops, fruit and
vegetables to import from abroad.

"Once honey bee colonies get down to a certain number it will be very hard
to breed sufficient numbers to meet the world's pollination needs. Within
five to six years we would be in real trouble."

George has been beekeeping for over 50 years and Richard for 45 years.
Richard said: "It's the worst that we have known things. We are concerned
for the future of the bee.

"What makes things worse is that no one really knows what's causing the
problem. If we knew what was causing it then we could stop it happening."

--
Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.