From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 2009 12:55:21 -0400
On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 12:19:45 -0300, Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>which would explain the colour and the gummy consistency.  But I think that
>wax is a major component of the robbing mark.

I agree with this observation, the gummy stuff certainly contains much that is not propolis. But
regardless, unfiltered wax from beehives contains propolis. And rendered combs contain a higher
amount than wax from uncappers. Commercial wax producers go to a great deal of trouble to remove
these impurities (filtration with clay, carbon, and diatomaceous earth).

I would say that real beeswax does and should contain propolis, that rendered beeswax is like that
ersatz apple juice you see that sparkles like corn oil. I prefer the cloudy farm run apple cider. I like
darker olive oils, too. So whether the bees paint the cells or not, eventually propolis seeps in and
stains all the wax in the hive. Once it gets on something, it doesn't come off! *

* Disclaimer: this refers to porous and stain absorbing substances like wax. Propolis can be removed
easily from one's hands with rubbing alcohol and from metal equipment with oven cleaner or lye.
Ammonia is supposed to work as well, although I couldn't get propolis off of my jeans even by soaking
them in straight ammonia.

Whether propolis staining is producing an antiseptic benefit, or is just sign that the combs need to be
replaced due to pathogen buildup, that's what I am trying to discuss

plb