From:
Ruary Rudd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 16:55:19 +0100
As I see it the choice is between an infected colony (which could well die)
and a colony from which the majority of spores has been removed.

The Bailey Frame Change is less disruptive of the colony than an artificial
swarm (where all the brood is lost) as it allows the brood to develop before
the frames are removed.

There is the expenditure of energy in the bees by making wax and drawing
comb to be accounted for, but if the top hive has frames of DRAWN COMB which
has been treated with acetic acid and aired before using it, I cannot see
that the crop would be much reduced.

However, how many beekeepers keep stocks of drawn comb?
Ruary