ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
martin weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 2009 13:29:34 -0400

Lisa

We have just installed an evolution exhibition, Charley and Kiwi's
Evolutionary Adventure in which we have a "dino dig"
exhibit (actually casts of Moa bones) and we are using the formula
Maureen referred to via Sean Duran at Miami Museum of Science who was
at the Academy of Sciences in Philadelphia.

We use wooden tools used for clay sculpting and brushes. It is
extremely popular with younger children < 5 to 10 yo and older.

When the bones get very exposed (empirically determined) our exhibits
shop prepares more substrate and pours in onto the remaining substrate.

I will look for the recipe as sent to me by Sean and pass it on.

Martin
On Jul 7, 2009, at 12:51 PM, Connaughton, Maureen wrote:

> I worked at the Academy of Natural Science in Philadelphia about 10
> years ago and install the dig there. I'd have to check my files for
> the
> formula, but I'm sure they have refined the mix since then. It's still
> going after 10 years! You might want to try them...
>
> Maureen Connaughton
> Executive Assistant
> Universal Services Associates, Inc.
> (610) 461-0300, ext. 115

Martin Weiss, PhD
Science Interpretation Consultant
mweiss at nyscience dot org

Charlie and Kiwi's Evolutionary Adventure
See how life changes over time
May 23rd through August 30th