HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2009 12:25:29 -0700
Hi Histarchers -
  I'm looking to round out this session with a few more presenters - if you are interested in participating, please drop me an email at [log in to unmask]  Session abstract is below.
  Cheers,
    Kim

Session Abstract: Community Archaeology and Contemporary Identities: Closing the Gap between Past and PresentThe current shift in archaeological practice toward more collaborative, community-centered research has prompted a broader recognition of contemporary groups with deeply-felt connections to the past.  This has profound implications for archaeological practice on a larger scale, as the significance of a wide range of identities based on perceived links to the past has come to the fore, in addition to those of indigenous peoples who have long fought for this recognition.  This session seeks to explore engagements between archaeologists and contemporary groups with interests in the past, whether their interest is based on lineal descent, location-based membership, or shared interests as a community.   How do we engage with already-created narratives of the past that hold special power in the present?  What ethical considerations come into play
 in our dealings with contemporary groups?  What are the implications of this interplay as collaborative research becomes recognized as an ethical necessity for archaeologists?