From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2009 21:38:18 -0700

> >I think its time we did as Brian suggests and push for all section 18's
> for
> the Bayer product checkmite stopped! Plenty of better choices!

Bob, I feel that any form of coumaphos in honey bee colonies is harmful to
the bees, of concern to honey consumers, and worst of all, an unacceptable
contaminant of much of the world's beeswax supply.  I've cautioned
beekeepers in several other countries to avoid the chemical, which is sold
under a variety of names.

Unfortunately, it is the beekeepers who keep begging for registration of the
product, whether for varroa or SHB control.

I feel from your tone, that you are trying to paint me as some sort of Bayer
chemical cheerleader, or anti commercial beekeeper.  Nothing could be
further from the truth, as my published articles should make clear.

I have a personal aversion to pesticides and miticides, but I try to be
careful not to allow my personal prejudices to taint my objective analysis
of the facts.

I am a strong supporter of commercial beekeepers, and have no desire to
criticize any of them in any way.  Indeed, I find most of them eager to
understand how to apply the latest scientific research to their own
operations.

Bob, I read every one of your posts with the greatest interest and respect
for your beekeeping knowledge.  I often follow up with in-depth research.
For example, I have not dismissed your suggestion that the neonics are
causing problems with bees, and am currently in active communication with
beekeepers and researchers around the world to find supporting anecdotal
evidence and scientific data.

Randy Oliver