From:
Paul Cherubini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2009 11:22:05 -0700
Source: Journal of Economic Entomology
Vol. 102, No. 2, April 2009, Page 616 - 623

Does Imidacloprid Seed-Treated Maize Have an
Impact on Honey Bee Mortality?

ABSTRACT
Beekeepers suspected maize, Zea mays L., treated with
imidacloprid to result in substantial loss of honey bee
(Hymenoptera: Apidae) colonies in Belgium. The objective
of this study was to investigate the potential impact of
maize grown from imidacloprid-treated seeds on honey
bee mortality. A survey of 16 apiaries was carried out,
and all maize fields treated or not with imidacloprid
were located within a radius of 3,000 m around the
observed apiaries. Samples of honey, beeswax, and
bees were collected in three colonies per apiary and
analyzed for pesticide contain by liquid chromatography-
tandem mass spectrometry and gas chromatography-tandem
mass spectrometry. We first found a significant correlation
between the number of colonies per apiary and the mortality
rates in an apiary. In addition, this mortality rate was
inversely correlated with the surface of maize fields
treated and not with imidacloprid, suggesting that this
pesticide do not interact with bees' fitness. Moreover,
a very large number of our samples contained acaricides
either prohibited or ineffective against Varroa destructor
(Anderson & Trueman) (Acari: Varroidae), suggesting that
the treatment methods used by the beekeepers to be
inadequate for mite control. Our results support the
hypothesis that imidacloprid seed-treated maize has
no negative impact on honey bees.