From:
Dave Burrup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 2009 17:45:57 -0600
A point that has not been addressed on this thread that I have personal
experience with is the break down of chemicals in the soil due to
environmental conditions from one year to another.  My experience has been
with potato herbicide residues in grain.  I think it could be safe to
extrapolate to imidicloprid.  I have seen grain crops ruined by herbicide
residues from potatoes.  The same soil types the same doses of herbicide.
The only variable being the weather.  I have seen this happen repeatedly
over the past thirty years.  Damage ranging from none one year to nearly
total wipeouts another year.
If the same thing happens with Imid then that at least could be the
explanation for the isolated bee kills.  As widely as it is used in my area
there would not be any bees left if it carried over as bad as it has in some
other areas.
Sometimes this damage is in patches associated with different soil types or
soil PH.  When conditions are dry we see the most carry over.  These factors
are uncontrollable.  If the extrapolation to imid is correct then parts of a
corn field could be toxic to a hive of bees foraging on it while the rest of
the field would be fine.  Bee hives from the same yard could be affected
differently.
Dave
South East Idaho