Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:43:49 -0600
7bit
> Putting more pressure on the comparison with mamals. one have to consider
> that depending on the depth of starvation it maybe irreversible or with
> serious problems after.

I guess that is my point.  People underestimate the long-term effects of
even temporary stavation or malnutrition on the development and disease
profile of a hive.

The legacies of shortage episodes are not easily demonstrated, and because
periods of malnutition are so nearly universal in our hives, and part of our
natural seasonal cycle, beekeepers assume that they are normal -- and
harmless.

These shortages are, indeed, natural and bees seem to live through them, but
if we are managing the bees, rather than simply exploiting them, maybe we
need to start to think of the bees as livestock that benefit from
supplementation on a more regular basis than what is necessary to overcome
drastic and obvious temporary or seasonal shortages.

Those managing other livestock provide supplements and extra feed anytime
they see a shortage developing, without thinking twice about it, and the
specific nutritional needs are well defined and taught -- but not for bees.

I have now started feeding patties constantly over the summer to see what
happens.  So far, the results are amazing to me.

I recall when I started spring supplementation with a good supplement.  I
was surprised to se that the 'normal' spring problems diminished
drastically, and so did the problems later in the season.  I wonder if this
effort will see similar results.

> How is the krebs cycle in insects?

What are you thinking?