ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charles Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2011 22:39:38 -0700

Cancer is a cellular disease that affects more than 25% of the American population.  It's not about microbial resistance, and probably everyone reading this email knows someone who has or has had cancer.  It's primary characteristic is its adaptability in the face of naturally driven selection, and it speaks to the heart of life, cellular behaviors, and power of adaptive evolution.  It is astonishing to me that such a first hand, and personal experience with the power of evolutionary theory manifest as a common place experience doesn't compel a recognition and acceptance.  Evolution at some scale is a meaningful part of everyone's life.

On Aug 9, 2011, at 6:30 AM, Martin Weiss wrote:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/09/science/09mouse.html
>
> This is a well written, clear report on how scientists are observing and
> tracking evolution in real time; not eons and eons. It is a another example
> in addition to the example of bird beak size we use in our exhibition *Charlie
> and Kiwi's Evolutionary Adventure* (http://www.nyscience.org/chareiandkiwi),
> that first demonstrated that we can see evolution occurring in real time. In
> addition, the article describes the need for scientists, to examine the
> stories people tell about evolution (sometimes aligned with Kipling's "Just
> So Stories") that may or may not be scientifically accurate. There are
> increasingly more and more studies that demonstrate that evolution can and
> does occur faster than millions and millions of years and that it is not
> process that is reserved for antibiotic resistance in bacteria.
>
> Please read!
>
> Martin
>
> --
> –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
> Martin Weiss, PhD
> New York Hall of Science
> mweiss at nyscience.org
> cell   347-460-1858
> desk 718 595 9156

> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
>
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
>
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit

Charles Carlson
Senior Scientist
exploratorium
3601 Lyon St.