From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 2009 09:28:48 -0000
Hello Bob

> Truth is no one will. When the beekeepers and bees are gone crops that
> need
> pollination will be gone from our diet.

I hear that the Chinese are hand-pollinating now - amazing.

> Please do not put words in my mouth. I never used the word incompetent.

Sorry - perhaps they are not incompetent, but PPB implies that they are not
doing what they should be doing. (Incompetent: not competent; lacking
qualification or ability; incapable).

> its hard to compare beekeeping in the U.K. to the size of the U.S. huge
> migratory machine.

Agreed.

> Lobbyists for the pesticide industry were behind the first indemnity
> program. Smart move on their part.

Yes - but who was going to pay?

> I hope your really do not believe the above.  Without testing beeks blame
> appalling summers, queens that don't mate, CBPV , varroa and winter.

I was talking about the classic pesticide kill.  Of course, we do not yet
fully understand sub-lethal effects.

> We have enough laws on the book we need ENFORCEMENT.

Sounds like it.

> Pick up a copy of the book " A Spring Without Bees" by Michael Schacker.

Not keen to support journalists who appear to be jumping on bandwaggons -
and from your reports you seem to have a spring with more bees than are
needed, at least in California.

> We have been friends for years Peter. Hopefully we can agree to disagree!

I do hope so.  I certainly value postings from someone with your experience
and working 'at the coal face'.

> BEE-L is a way for me to unwind. 240 queens arrive tomorrow from Australia

Oh dear!  Imported queens.  We are going to have to agree to disagree again!
Best wishes

Peter Edwards
beekeepers at stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/