From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:13:28 -0400
Bill T <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>My guess it we are looking at AHB in the areas that it seems to work

From the same paper:

> Most investigations on the effects of cell size on varroa have been
conducted by comparing varroa population growth in worker and drone brood or
Africanized and European bee colonies. For Africanized bees, researchers
found that varroa infestation rates per cell were higher when the
Africanized bees resided on comb drawn by European bees (large cells) than
on comb drawn by Africanized bees (small cells), thus lending some
credibility to the small cell hypothesis.

> Furthermore, investigators have shown that varroa infestation rates are
higher in drone brood (large cells) than in worker brood (small cells), yet
others have shown that drone larvae are more attractive to varroa,
regardless of cell size. Such conflicting information regarding the efficacy
of small cell foundation as a varroa control abounds in *anecdotal* reports.