From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 2009 21:43:07 -0400
Steve Noble wrote:
>How would anyone know?

Allen wrote:  Some people do know.

     Lots of people seem to know things about this or that in beekeeping.
It’s getting them to state clearly how they know what they know that is
difficult.  I found your question interesting, Allen, because it seemed to
be referring to a more general, broad based increase in mite resistance
across the board.  It would be valuable to know if this is the case and if
it is what could be contributing to it.  But as in the case of CCD, I
wonder, and in fact I kind of doubt if we will ever be able to pinpoint the
source with much certainty.  But that doesn’t mean an answer to the question
isn’t worth pursuing.
     It is possible that the genes responsible for mite resistance, being
already present within the general A.m. population, have just begun to
assert their presence in a more pervasive way in spite of, more than because
of, our breeding programs, simply because that is the only way bees and
varroa can survive.  Those genes could be coming from one source, say
Russian stock, or they could be coming from multiple sources that contribute
different elements to a complex, overall mechanism.  In that regard
resistance could be the result of more than one characteristic, a
combination of hygienic behavior and shorter brood cycle for example, each
coming from different sources.  If it is mainly a varroa vectored virus that
kills or weakens the bees then it could be a developed immunity to the virus
that is the main contributing factor.  I’m not sure that anyone really knows
what it is that gives Russian bees their ability to withstand varroa
infestation if this is in fact the case in all or most instances.
     Add to the complexity of the genetics of the honeybee, the complexity
of the genetics of the parasite, and it gets really mind boggling.  Then we
have the environmental factors that Joe talks about.  The suitability of the
environment is certainly a factor in any organism’s ability to thrive.  Many
on the list have talked about the importance of maintaining the right
environmental and nutritional conditions as the first line of defense, and
in some cases maybe the only really necessary line of defense against what
makes bees sick.
     I’ve been running mostly Italians here in the Northwest Washington.  I
can’t say I or my bees have conquered the varroa problem.  I treat with
formic in the late summer when I think they need it.  I have no breeding
program and I have been letting the bees take responsibility for their own
queen situation.  A new beekeeping association has just formed here with at
least one pretty experienced beekeeper who claims to be almost completely
off everything but powdered sugar.  He has mostly carniolans, some Buckfast
and I believe some Russians.  He seems really committed to breeding for a
bee that does not require treatment and does well in our rather difficult
climate.  It will be interesting to see how much success he has.

Steve Noble